Meesapulimala is the heaven on earth, just above the clouds. In the high ranges of Western Ghats, Meesapulimala is a destination for the highly adventurous. It is one of the highest peaks in Idukki district, where you can have an unforgettable trekking experience with clouds in company.
- Unforgettable trekking experience.
- Breathtaking views of the vast plains of Tamilnadu, Kolukkumalai (world’s highest tea estate), Anamudi (highest peak in the Western Ghats), Mattupetty and Anayirangal reservoirs from top of Meesapulimala.
- Spectacular view of the surrounding waterfalls including the gorgeous Kurinji waterfalls.
- High altitude grasslands and tea plantations.
- Silent Valley tea plantation.
- Wildlife (elephants, sambar, sloth bear, Nilgiri tahr, etc.)
- Streams and small waterfalls en route with chilling water.
- Off-road jeep safari.
- Cool climate with mist and fog.
- Drifting clouds at the top of the mountain.
Activities to Do
- Trekking and sightseeing through tea plantations, rain forests and grasslands.
- Overnight camping in the wilderness.
- Campfire at the base camp.
- Jeep Safari through winding mountain roads.
- Pine and Eucalyptus plantation visit.
- Bird and sky watching.
- Meesapulimala base camp is located 25 kilometers away from Munnar Town. From base camp, the entire stretch of trek (to and fro) is around 19 kilometers.
- Once you reach Munnar, you should report to the Kerala Forest Development Corporation (KFDC) Office first, who will arrange for the trekking and camping. KFDC office is located 3 kilometers away from Munnar Bus Depot.
- From KFDC Office, you should hire a jeep to base camp. KFDC will arrange the Jeep, but it is not included in the package and has to be paid separately. Cost approximately 1200-1500 and it will take 1 hour to reach the base camp.
- The next point is Rhodo Valley (the last point accessible by any four wheeler), which is 4-5 kilometers away from base camp. Jeep safari available to Rhodo valley.
- From Rhodo valley, you need to trek uphill (about 6 kilometers) to reach Meesapulimala.
- KFDC will provide an experienced guide, who will be accompanying you in this trek.
Food and Accommodation
- There are 3 different accommodation facilities available: Sky cottage (Rs. 9000 for 3 people), Rhoda Mansion ( 6000 for 2 people), Base Camp (Rs. 4000 per tent, tent can accommodate 2 people).
- In all the 3 accommodation facilities, KFDC will provide food and refreshments. Bookings can be done through KFDC website.
- Please carry water bottles and snacks with you.
Permissions and Tickets
- Meesapulimala trekking can only be done with the permission of Kerala Forest Development Corporation (KFDC). Climbing privately is illegal and may be fined. Permissions and bookings can be obtained through KFDC website.
- October to February.
- Beware of leaches, so don’t forget to carry repellents such as salt, lighter, etc.
- Please carry water, snacks, glucose and sunscreen while you trek.
- Carry enough cash in hand (limited ATM facility available).
- Wear proper hiking footwear, jacket/sweater while trekking.
- Carry valid ID proof.
- Take the official route with proper bookings. Climbing privately is illegal.
- No mobile network available.
- A group walk is better.