- Thattekad is Kerala’s first bird sanctuary, which has the richest bird habitat on peninsular India. The sanctuary lies between the tributaries of river Periyar and is also the home of many wild animals and butterflies.
- More than 300 species of birds visit the sanctuary.
- Over 50 species of butterflies found in the sanctuary.
- Numerous teak, rosewood and mahogany trees grow in the sanctuary.
- Wild animals like elephants, porcupine, bear, leopard and cobra live in the sanctuary.
- Dense tropical evergreen and deciduous forests cover the sanctuary.
- The sanctuary lies in a peninsula formed by tributaries of river Periyar.
Activities to Do
- Bird watching.
- Butterfly watching.
- Wild animal watching.
- Jungle night camping.
- Camping at tree top machan.
- Boating in river Periyar.
- Paid nature camps.
- Elephant back and jeep rides for bird watching.
- Located in the Kothamangalam Taluk of Ernakulam district and about 13 kilometers drive from Kothamangalam town.
- By road. Bus and taxi service available.
Food and Accommodation
- Watch tower accommodation inside the sanctuary.
- Inspection Bungalow (Hornbill) run by Forest Department.
- Home stays and lodges available nearby.
- PWD rest house near Bhoothathankett Dam.
Permissions and Tickets
- Entry ticket needs to be purchased from counter.
- Winter (November to February)